Monday, July 14, 2014

OK, yes, I do watch Masterchef

So, I must admit, after not watching the past few seasons, I have been watching this year's Masterchef. I will even admit it took me until an episode in this season for a past winner to walk in and for me to realise that's who I had seen on the cover a cookbook recently, which seemed to be on every bookstore shelf (I was really confused. She had the same name as a singer but didn't really look like her, but maybe did if you squinted... see, confusing!)

I am not addicted. I am not concerned if I miss an episode and I even change over before the results are "announced" so my boyfriend can catch the start of his show. See - not obsessed. Anyway, I do enjoy watching the challenges and wondering what I'd do. Sometimes I think of something really great instantly, and then on the odd occasion I have trailed that recipe the following weekend. I've been pretty happy with myself. So when they did choux pastry recently, I thought, "easy". I bought the ingredients the following evening - that's how confident I was. Unfortunately, I found out it was much harder than I originally thought. My first attempt was eggy, flat and doughy. Not edible at all.

However, never one to give up when it comes to baking, I tried again. This time I followed my macaroon success and stumbled across a blog which gave the 1-0-1 on making choux. Like the macaroons, her reasons sounded sane, her technique pretty easy, so I gave it a go. And guess what, they worked :-). Well, half the batch worked, the other half went flat, but it was ok, we had more than enough to give us a pre-bedtime sugar high.


So, once again, I am not posting the recipe but pointing you in the direction of this very smart lady who taught me. Everyone, meet Baker Bettie.




PS - my enjoyment of watching Masterchef will never drive me to apply - I would hate being in TV and without a doubt, completely crash under the pressure. In case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment