Monday, September 24, 2012

When in doubt, make brownies

Last week was a big week. Really busy at work, sick child and I was feeling sick as well. At the beginning of the week I'd organised a dinner at my place for Friday. I was looking forward to it, however once Friday came around the thought of cooking dinner made me feel exhausted. So, we opted for some really nice Thai takeaway. However, I couldn't have people over for dinner and not make them some kind of dessert. A few weekends ago I bought 2 new cook books, which I have had my eye on for ages. They were Desserts from the famous Loveless Cafe and SprinkleBakes. I hadn't had a chance to try any recipes from them, so I flipped through the Loveless Cafe cookbook pages for something that would match my energy levels (aka something simple). I came across the Peanut Butter Brownies and knew I was on a winner. The brownies were moist and rich and had a wonderful salty peanut flavour marbled through it. I would have liked the peanut flavour to be stronger, but a day later the flavours had matured and tasted so much better - so if you can, bake a day in advance. ENJOY.


Peanut Butter Brownies
From Desserts from the famous Loveless Cafe

230g plus 2 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain flour
120g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup espresso coffee
3 tbs cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk or dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line a square baking tray and set aside until ready to use.

Start by making the peanut butter batter. Over a saucepan of simmering water, place a heat-proof bowl and melt the 115g plus 2 tbs butter and peanut butter. Stir until combined, then remove from the heat. Whisk in a cup of sugar then 2 eggs, one at a time, followed by 1 tsp vanilla extract. Set aside and make the chocolate batter.

In another bowl over the simmering water, melt and stir the remaining butter and the dark chocolate. When fully melted, remove from heat and whisk through a cup of sugar then 2 eggs, one at a time, followed by the shot of espresso. Finish by folding through the flour and cocoa powder. 

Spoon the mixture in alternative batches into the tray, then using a butter knife, gently make zig zags through the mix to create a marble effect. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips then bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. When testing to see if it's ready, poke a knife or skewer into the centre, it should come out with some mixture on it, but it shouldn't be runny. For best results, allow to cool then leave in the fridge overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment