Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sweet treat for breakfast

I've always been told that the most important meal for the day is breakfast, something to give you a good kick-start in the morning and get your body working. When I was a teenager and really conscience about my weight, I used to try and skip breakfast, but my Dad cottoned onto this pretty quick so would pretend to read the paper while I ate breakfast, but really he was watching me eat and making sure I was being healthy (couldn't get one past him).

Now I'm an adult, I'm still pretty irresponsible when it comes to breakfast. It's not a weight thing anymore, I just prefer to have a coffee in the morning, which generally gets me through to lunch time. Although, I do LOVE going out for breakfast - I'm a complicated person :-).

Anyway, last week I saw this amazing looking breakfast bake via Pinterest and I really wanted to make it for the girls (and the few boys) in my office. I bought all the ingredients over the weekend but until this morning, when my toddler dragged me out of bed at 5.25am with the line "Mummy, I need to do wee wee", I didn't really have the time to make it. So, with my early rise this morning, here is a mid-week sweet breakfast for my hard working teammates! Enjoy.



Breakfast Bake
From Urban Nester

2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 x punnet blueberries
1 x punnet strawberries, hulled
150g dark chocolate chips
2 cups milk
70g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 x banana, sliced

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a bowl, mix the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, 1/2 the blueberries, 1/2 the strawberries (cut in half) and the chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, butter, vanilla and egg. Evenly spread the oat mix in a baking dish. Top with the remainder of the blueberries and strawberries and sliced bananas, then pour the milk mix over the top. Pop in the oven for about 45 - 50 minutes, or until the top starts to get golden. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm. 







No comments:

Post a Comment