Sunday, August 12, 2012

A confession and chocolate

A small confession to start with - I use to work at The Cheesecake Shop. This was my first job and it was much better then working behind a counter of a greasy fast food chain. I got to decorate cakes and write messages for special occasions. Instead of smelling like chicken fat at the end of the day (like some of my friends did), I smelt like cream and sugar. This was my first introduction to baking and working with food. It was a few more years before I started my own baking and getting excited about food, but I will always remember my time there as a nice introduction.

The reason I bring this up, is I got to try many different flavours and types of cake while working at the Cheesecake Shop. I have never been much of a nut fan, so I always surprised myself when I tried the pecan pie and then want more and more. The gooey filling with the crunch of the pecans lured me in and was even more amazing when heated up in the microwave for a bit. I haven't worked at the Cheesecake Shop for about 7 years, and since then rarely gone in and had their cakes. A few weeks ago I was given a slice of caramel pecan pie (not from the Cheesecake Shop) and the memories of eating pecan pie and all the cakey goodness came back to me. I decided to make my own pie, which of course meant adding chocolate. So here it is, my homage to my days at The Cheesecake Shop and Pecan Pie!

Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie
Shortcrust pastry
2 cups plain flour
1 tbs icing sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
125g butter, chilled and cubed
1 egg yolk
2-3 tbs icey water

In a food processor, blend the flour, cocoa, icing sugar and butter until it resembles a sandy crumble. Add the egg yolk and blitz until combined. While still mixing, add the water, one tablespoon at a time. Wait a few moments between each tablespoon before adding the next, as it can take a few seconds for the water to fully incorporate into the dough and adding too much water will cause your dough to be too wet. When the dough comes together in a ball, remove from the processor and roll into a ball. Wrap with cling film and let rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes. When rested, remove from fridge and roll out between two sheets of baking paper until about 1cm thick. 

Butter a tart tin and set aside, pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C. Roll the pastry into the tart tin and allow for some overhang. Pop in fridge again for about 15 minutes then trim the top of the tin. Using a fork, prick the base. Pop into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.

Caramel
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons plain flour 
1 1/2 tablespoons butter 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks 
1 cup milk

While the pastry is baking, make the caramel. In a saucepan over a medium heat, stir the brown sugar, plain flour, butter, vanilla essence and egg yolks until combined. Remove from heat and slowly pour in the milk. Don't worry if it starts to look like it curdles, keep stirring and it will be fine. Return to the heat and slowly cook for about 10-15 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. When ready, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before filling the cooled pastry shells. Once caramel is cooled, spread over the base of the pie crust and set aside.

The pecan part
1.5 cups pecans
100g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 eggs

Turn the oven down to 180 degrees C. Chop the pecans in half. In a bowl, mix the pecans, melted butter, golden syrup, brown sugar, cocoa powder and eggs. Stir until combined and then pour over caramel. Pop into the oven and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes. When ready, remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with some cream and enjoy!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment