Sunday, June 24, 2012

Peanut Crunch biscuits

June seems to be the month for birthday's at work. We even have two on the same day (I happen to be one of those two people). So that means lots of cake! We set up a cake roster so no one would have to bake on their own birthday, however now that I share a birthday with my boss, that little plan doesn't quite work. Oh well, good thing I like to bake.

For my bosses birthday I made some vanilla cupcakes with a choc-raspberry buttercream icing. I have made cupcakes a few times on this blog, so I won't post the recipe. However, I will post the recipe for the delicious little biscuits I also baked to accompany the cupcakes. The thing you need to know about the people in my office is that they like sweets and they don't like waiting until the afternoon for the birthday celebrations. For my bosses birthday, I made some Peanut Crunch Biscuits to help get the team through the day. They were buttery, peanuty and crumbly, which pretty much means perfect :-). Try them and you'll see.

Peanut Crunch Biscuits

1 cup unsalted peanuts
200g caster sugar
200g butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
100g dark chocolate

In a food processer, pulse the peanuts until the are fine, resembling wet sand. Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees celsius.

In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar for about 5 - 10 minutes, until smooth and sugar has completely mixed in with the butter. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Stir through the peanuts, flour, baking soda and salt.

Line a tray with baking paper. Using your hands, roll small balls of the biscuit mixture and place on the tray. Make sure the biscuits are places evenly and have room to spread when baking. Pop in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the biscuit is just turning golden. Set aside and allow to cool.

Melt the dark chocolate. You can do this the proper way over a bain-marie, however on this occasion I melted the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, checking on it every 45 seconds and stirring. Lay out another piece of baking paper. When the biscuits have cooled, dip half the biscuit in the melted chocolate and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place on the baking paper for the chocolate to set.

Store in an air tight container, or enjoy immediately!




No comments:

Post a Comment