Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rip off cookies

One of my favourite things to do at the moment is scroll through the hundreds of photos on Pinterest. I love seeing what other people discover and developing my own ideas form them. I also love that you can keep track of all the great webpages without having to bookmark the site or page in your toolbar.

This morning, while slightly hungover, I was checking out the latest updates in my Pinterest account and came across a link for Doughnut Cookies. I thought they looked amazing and possibly not too difficult to recreate. So, with a sore head and not much energy to bake for a party I'm going to this afternoon, I thought these cookies were the perfect solution.

I used my sugar cookie recipe from a previous post and a basic icing and finished them off with the special sprinkles I ordered from an online supplies store. So easy yet so delicious! ENJOY!

Doughnut Cookies
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup icing sugar 
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
1 cup plain flour 
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Using an electric beater, mix the butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour and salt and mix until just combined. The dough is quite crumbly, so use your hand to knead everything together. Roll the dough out between two pieces of baking paper until it's about 1.5/2cms thick. Using a circle cookie cutter, cut shapes into the dough. Using a smaller circle, cut a circle from the middle. Place on a lined baking tray. Bake cookies for about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for about 5 minutes on the baking tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.














Icing 
2 cups icing sugar
Splash of milk
Sprinkles
 
Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add a slash of milk and stir. You want the mix to be thick but spreadable, so add more milk if needed. Spread the icing onto the cooled cookies and sprinkle with whatever topping you like. Eat :-).






No comments:

Post a Comment