Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lunch box treat for daycare

I don't have any proof, as I am one of the first to drop my son off in the morning, but I sometimes wonder if the other parents are judging what I leave my child for lunch in the fridge at daycare each day. Do they look at the same ham and cheese sandwich that my son gets for lunch everyday and smirk at their gourmet bites they have brought in for their child, or do they think "I really should try feeding my child ham as it won't eat anything else?" I am sure everyone actually does what I do and throws the lunch in the fridge with the hope it lands in the correct basket then whips my child to whatever room he needs to start the day in before having the teacher peeled him from my arms so I can run to the car/bus/train to get to work on time. No time for judging, only time for a sympathetic look or smile from other parents as you can hear your child screaming down the hall.

So, with this little theory of mine not really debunked or confirmed, I sometimes like to treat my son with a special (tasty) lunch box treat. Today it's an apple tea cake. It's so easy to make, so can be whipped up the night before after the kids are finally in bed and before you pass out from exhaustion yourself. ENJOY.


Apple Teacake
Adapted from Cakes and Slices

150g butter, at room temperature and cut into cubes
230g caster sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
185g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
185g vanilla yoghurt
1 can granny smith apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease/line a square baking tray.

Beat 130g of the butter with the sugar until smooth and creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat each one well. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Fold in the flour and baking powder, then the yoghurt. Spoon into the prepared pan.

Evenly scatter the apples across the top of the mixture. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and 1 tsp of sugar. Melt the remaining 20g of butter and pour over the top of the cake. Place in the oven and bake for 55 minutes (or until a skewer can be inserted and comes out clean).

Leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving. If you're enjoying this yourself, serve with a dollop of cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment