Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday morning banana pancakes

I have seen people eat pancakes in so many ways and with so many flavour combinations. I remember when I was in Canada visiting my friend, her boyfriend at the time covered his pancakes with a thick layer of icing sugar and then drenched it with maple syrup. My teeth hurt just watching him. And years ago there was this great place in West End (Brisbane) which served "Canadian" pancakes, which were large, fluffy pancakes with crispy bacon, caramelized bananas and maple syrup. They were so hard to resists.

In my ripe old age of 27 though, I've grown out of having sweets for breakfast. I crave savoury (or just coffee most mornings). My toddler however loves anything sweet at any time. This morning I thought I'd surprise him with some banana pancakes. They had a lovely banana flavour and were light and golden. I suggest you pop on the kettle and whip yourself up a batch tomorrow morning!

Saturday Morning Banana Pancakes
Makes 5 pancakes

1/2 cup plain flour
pinch salt
1 tbs caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
15g butter, melted
1 mashed banana

Sift the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk and melted butter together. Pour into the flour mix and whisk until smooth. Stir through the mashed banana. 

Over a medium to low heat, ladle the batter into a saucepan and cook for about 2 minutes on one side (or until the edges look a little golden and bubbles start forming on the top), then carefully flip the pancake over and cook on the other side for about 1 minute. Remove from pan and let rest on a plate. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with some honey and butter, or a dollop of yoghurt. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment