Saturday, March 17, 2012

More bananas (and Nutella)

Continuing on with today's banana theme, I have made some banana cupcakes with Nutella frosting (guess that also means I'm continuing the Nutella recipes). We've been taking advantage of the cheap bananas recently, but they start going brown before we get the chance to use them all, so have been freezing them. The freezer was getting a little full, so thought it was about time I baked something with bananas. 

Normally I double this cupcake recipe to make sure there's enough, but this banana version of my usual cupcakes turned out to be a bit bigger, so I made way too many. I'm trying to loose weight at the moment, so thought I'd get other people to eat these instead of me. I've frozen a few for my toddler's lunches this week, I also made an early morning call on my brother and his girlfriend, and finally took some to today's play date. They were pretty delicious, but if I kept them at home I'm sure I'd find a way to ration that because they have bananas and Nutella that it would be ok to eat them for breakfast... you see why I had to unload them :-).

Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting

240g plain flour
280g caster sugar
2 tbs baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger powder
a pinch of salt
160g butter, at room temperature
240ml milk
4 eggs
240g bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and set up the cupcake cases.

In a bowl, beat the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and butter until a sandy consistency. Pour in half the milk and beat until just combined. Whisk the eggs and remaining milk together and add to the batter, beat until just combined. Stir in the bananas. Using a ladle, fill the cupcake holders 3/4 way. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted and come out clean. Set aside until completely cooled.

Frosting
300g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup Nutella
40ml milk
 
In a bowl, beat together the icing sugar and butter until combined. Continue beating as you add the Nutella. Slowly add the milk as you beat until the frosting is smooth, thick and creamy.

Using a piping bag, ice the cupcakes. ENJOY!






1 comment:

  1. WM,
    Banana Cupcakes - yummmm ! I have to say I use nuts ( real nuts & chocolate ) rather than nutella, but I know what you're doing probably works.
    perhaps i could taste 'em for ya ; it's a free service !
    Gez

    ReplyDelete