Thursday, October 13, 2011

An orange a day...

I was at the markets the other day and saw blood oranges. I'd heard they weren't in season for long, so bought a few to play with. I had never baked with blood oranges before so started goggling to find some recipes.

I came across this blog post for a Middle Eastern Blood Orange cake. It looked divine and being flourless, I knew it would be lovely and moist. I plopped my 2yr old in front of the tv and started baking.

In the post it suggests the easy step of microwaving the oranges instead of simmering them for hours. I went with this, however didn't get a heaps of juices from them, so maybe I need to test this method a little more.

ENJOY!



Claudia Roden's Middle Eastern Blood Orange Cake
(Taken from Not Quite Nigella)

3 medium blood oranges, washed
6 eggs, beaten
250 g. ground almonds
250 g. sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Icing sugar to dust if desired

Pierce the skins of the oranges with a fork, microwave in a closed container on high for about 8 mins (depending on size of fruit) and turning them around after a few minutes. When cooled slightly, cut them open and save the flesh and juice.

Preheat oven to 190ºC/170ºc fan forced and line the base and sides of a springform tin with baking paper.

Blend oranges and remaining ingredients thoroughly with an electric beater. Pour batter into prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer is removed clean. Dust with icing sugar and zest.


Yes, he is eating a lemon...

No comments:

Post a Comment